Sunday, July 15, 2012

Dog Days of Summer

I just mowed the sahara aka the yard. I'm sure the neighborhood thoroughly enjoyed the monstrosity of a dust cloud on this peaceful Sunday afternoon. 
This weather is giving me some motivation towards setting up a rain catch system early next year.  One solid version I read about involved putting live tilapia in the rain barrels to keep the mosquitos at bay....and you could eat the fish eventually.
On a separate note,  my damn tomato plants are pushing 4 feet tall and we've got a crap load of cucumbers, spaghetti squash and peppers coming.  Turns out I planted leaf lettuce instead of head lettuce and I let the plants grow too tall so...chop and drop and try again. 
I still wish Lori would agree to farm living.  Gunner seems to enjoy it as much as I do.  

2 comments:

  1. im slowly convincing Jen that the farm life is the way to go.. haha coming from absolutely loving living in nyc but a year ago i have a ways to go with her.
    i plan on setting up a rain catch system in the near future. ive heard though that the time and effort put into raising tilapia really outweighs the yield. although if youre looking at using them to reduce mosquitos and as an occasionaly meal, i dont see it being a bad thing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slow and steady wins the race they say. Lori has agreed to heading for the hills in 8 years when my stepson graduates high school. I shall continue to sway her my way!

    I asked a fish expert friend of mine about the Tilapia and he agrees with you... Faaaar too much effort.

    ReplyDelete